Thursday, January 7, 2010

Departmental inquiry launched against rampaging CRPF jawans

ROING, Jan 7: An independent departmental enquiry has been initiated against the CRPF jawans involved in the attack of civilians on December 25 in the market area of Roing town. Three jawans accused of carrying the attack were also reportedly arrested by the State police and later released on bail. This was revealed by Deputy Commissioner YW Ringu at a meeting held with AIMSU to ease hostility and work out a solution to the Union’s demand in the aftermath of the attack.

The students’ union had earlier demanded shifting of the CRPF base camp from the district headquarters and sought compensation to the victims of the attack. Responding to the demands placed, Ringu informed the Union members that evacuating the CRPF from Roing cannot be decided by the district administration since the paramilitary force has been stationed in the district in accordance with the State Government’s policy. On the compensation, she said it was a matter to be decided between the CRPF and the Union but advised that the amount should be reasonable. She, however, made it clear that the culprits could not be prosecuted legally as well as made to pay compensation. It was either the choice of accepting compensation or withdrawal of the case registered that of which union must be amply clear of while placing its demand, she said.

The students union on its part expressed satisfaction and appreciated the role of police and administration in tracking down the culprits within an hour of attack and booking them. It, however, made the point that any more atrocities on civilians in future will not be tolerated and cautioned the administration that paramilitary forces should not be given free hand. THE SENTINEL

No comments:

Search News and Articles

Custom Search